Our education program targets parents, teachers, other professional and the general public responsible for the education, development, and care of children/youth with learning disabilities.
Teachers Training program
Our training service is building the capacity of teachers and other education staff to be able to identify and respond to the learning needs of children with learning disabilities. Through making the school environment learning disability and inclusive friendly.
We are achieving this through:
– Providing in-service training and resource materials for school teachers
– Training district educational officers and head teachers on the rights of children with learning disabilities and providing strategies for inclusive education
– Providing teachers with teaching materials that they can use in class to facilitate the learning of children with learning disabilities
– Sending volunteers to help provide in-class support for children with learning disabilities
We also train, provide counseling and resources for parents and care-givers of children with learning disabilities and educational inequities
We are doing this through:
– Hosting educational sessions for parents to learn about child rights, learning disabilities and ways to support their child
– Visiting maternal clinic/hospitals to educate and counsel pregnant women, mothers, and nurses about learning disabilities, its signs and support services
– Communicating with educational officials to gain admission to schools for children who have been denied it
CLED’s aim in the outreach sector is to spread awareness of learning disabilities and educational inequalities. Through this, we aim to increase public responsiveness to children with learning disabilities and educational marginalisation.
To meet these aims there are two strategic objectives:
A: Making the community environment learning disability and educational friendly
B: Increasing community support for children with learning disabilities and educational inequities
These objectives will be achieved through:
– Running radio/TV talk shows that discuss learning disabilities and inclusive education-
– Visiting churches to educate the congregation about learning disabilities and providing educational materials and contacts for available support services
– Traveling to communities and schools to educate members about child rights, learning disabilities, and inclusive education
– Through CLED Campus Clubs providing pre-service training and resource materials for students in teacher training colleges/universities in Ghana
Educational Sponsorship Program
Our goal is to increase access to education or vocational training for children/youth with learning disabilities and educational inequities through sponsorship. It has been stated that for every year of school attained, future income for boys rises by 5% to 15%, and more for girls, even more. Therefore, attending school or vocational school will improve the prospects of a secure sustainable independent living.
We provide educational resources such as books, pens, pencils, uniforms and sandals, bags, funding for school fees, specialized assessment and specialized tuition fees etc.